The Zanzibar Commission for Tourism has the following core functions:
- Administer and enforce the tourism Act to ensure compliance
- Develop, implement and review tourism policies, plans, strategies, guidelines and legislation in consultation with stakeholders
- Promote and market Zanzibar as a tourist destination
- Identify, develop, diversify and upgrade tourism products to attract visitors
- Setting standards and regulating tourism enterprises
- Undertake and coordinate research in the sector
- Internal & external resource mobilization in consultation with other stakeholders.